Chocolate (the Ketogenic way)
When I first looked at this diet it was pretty scary. I didn't know how to begin and I couldn't find anyone to help me in my area. More importantly, how was I going to live without Chocolate? It was just too much to ask! But then I realized that Chazal (our sages) tell us that though G-d doesn't allow us to eat milk and meat together, he allows us to eat the udder of the cow (not that I would), a part that is filled with milk.
This is a simple recipe. You can make it two ways. With coconut oil (the healthest way ketogenicly) which needs to be refrigerated or with cocoa butter (still good fat) which will stay solid at room temperature. The coconut oil version is the quickest. The cocoa butter needs to be made like real chocolate.
Refidgerated Coconut Chocolate
1/2 Tablespoon measure
4 ounces parve Hershey's Baking Bar unsweetened chocolate
4 ounces extra virgin coconut oil
25 drops EZ-sweetz
Put the jar of coconut oil in hot tap water to melt. (It's solid at room temperature and only starts to become liquid above 76 degrees.) It's much easier to measure in a liquid state.
Break the Chocolate Bar in 2 and place on a microwave safe plate and Microwave at 50% for 30 seconds. Continue microwaving for 10 to 20 second intervals till it's melted. With spatula add the melted chocolate to 4 ounces melted coconut oil in 2 cup measure.
Add the EZ- sweetz (I like it bitter sweet but you could always add a few more drops to taste if you like it sweeter.)
Stir well till it's well mixed then hold the measuring spoon over the ice cube tray in your left hand (this assumes that you are right handed) and pour into the measuring spoon with your chocolate mixture (work carefully try to fill to the top without overflowing). Then dump it into each cube. (It will get easier with practice.) Put it into the fridge and enjoy.
Sugar free Cocoa Butter Chocolate
Prep time: 5 mins
Cook time:5 mins
Total time:10 mins
Serves: 6 to 8
1 cup of Cocoa Butter
1 cup of Organic Dutch Process Cocoa Powder
sweetner that's equivalent to 1/2 cup sugar (I use 1/4 t SweetzFree)
1 teaspoon of Real Vanilla Extract or other flavors to taste
Optional: Toasted chopped almonds, orange or mint extract, etc)
1. Melt cocoa butter in a double boiler or a glass bowl on top of a small pan with an inch of water (make sure water isn't touching bowl) over medium heat.
2. When cocoa butter is completely melted, remove from heat and add cocoa powder, sweetzfree, vanilla or other flavor extracts.
3. Make sure all ingredients are well incorporated and smooth. At this point, make sure that no water or liquid gets in to the chocolate as it can cause the texture to get mealy! Be careful even with wet hands or a drop of water in the mold!
4. Pour the chocolate in to silicon ice cube trays or onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a glass pan to harden.
5. Let harden for several hours at room temperature until hardened and remove from ice cube tray. You can also stick it in the fridge to harden more quickly. It will store for over a week at room temperature or can be kept refrigerated for longer. Enjoy!